Fire safety guidelines for student accommodation

Come and meet the CAVIUS team at Grand Designs Live in May
April 9, 2019
Smoke Alarm Legislation for Landlords explained
April 23, 2019
Show all
student accommodation

You might be one of the very fortunate students who has never experienced any fires in your student accommodation, or you might have experienced a few false alarms and been alerted to the potential of fires where you live. Regardless of your situation, it is important to be aware of what you need to do in the event of a fire and how you can ensure your accommodation is safe.

 Please take the time to read this information, it might just save a life and it will certainly reduce the inconvenience of false alarms for yourself and others.

The main causes of fire alarm activation are:

Fumes when cooking

Heat detectors should be provided in the kitchen in many properties and will not sound when cooking. However, the alarm can be activated by the smoke detector in the hall or corridor. This can be prevented by ensuring the kitchen door is closed during and after cooking together with the correct use of extractor fans.

The fire alarm is often activated because the fire door to the kitchen/pantry is wedged open. Propping open the fire doors is a very serious offence and puts Students` lives at risk.

Toast, burnt food and grill pans

When cooking, food should never be left unattended. If called away, the toaster /cooker should be switched off and all food removed from the heat source. It is also important that the toaster/grill is cleaned regularly to stop deposits collecting in or near heating elements.

Also, you should check whether additional cooking appliances are allowed in bedrooms.

Smokers’ materials

If you are a smoker you should not smoke indoors, make sure you step outside and stub all cigarettes out properly. Additionally, if you use electronic cigarettes  remember they can cause false alarms and in some properties you could incur fines for using them indoors.

Use of candles, gas/oil heaters 

Candles have been the cause of very serious fires in student accommodation in the past. Apart from that gas/oil heaters can also cause major incidents if they are left switched on when unattended. The best way to avoid candle fires is to not use them and if your heating in the building is not working properly speak to the accommodation manager before bringing in your own means.

Further Student fire safety advice

  • Plan and practice an escape route with your housemates.
  • Ensure you have a smoke alarm fitted on each level of the property.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Don’t cook if you’ve been drinking alcohol – especially late at night. One in four injuries from house fires started by deep – frying occur between 10pm and 4am.
  • Ensure all electrical appliances are switched off before going to bed and don’t overload plug sockets.
  • If a fire starts get out, stay out and call 999

CAVIUS are running a student competition this month where you could win a £25 Nando’s gift card for sharing our fire safety advice, head over to our social media channels for more information.

You can purchase the CAVIUS products, here.

For more information on our safety products, click here.

To speak to our team, call: 0330 999 0019