Keeping Student Accommodation safe from fires

Maintenance of your smoke alarm
February 19, 2019
building regulations
Does your Smoke Alarm positioning meet Building Regulations?
February 26, 2019
Show all

Did you know that people living in shared accommodation, such as university halls of residence and privately-owned student accommodation, are 7 times more likely to have a fire? The CAVIUS team have put together some top tips on what can be done to protect yourself against the risks.

Safety in the Kitchen

More than half of all fires are started in the kitchen; therefore, it is vital that appropriate care is taken when cooking (especially if you have been drinking!). Some of the most common sources of kitchen fire are from leaving cooking appliances on or unattended, or when oil ignites.

Make sure when cooking that you switch off all electrical appliances, especially gas hobs. Turn off pans filled with oil and let them cool down before leaving them unattended. If you use multiple electrical appliances, be sure not to overload sockets in the kitchen.

Candles and Cigarettes are Dangerous

Statistics show that candles cause more than five fires a day! Many new students will be sent off to university with candles and incense to make their halls homelier, but such items pose a significant fire risk.

Always remember to blow out candles and incense sticks before going to sleep or leaving the room. Ensure that they are situated away from flammable items such as clothing, bedding or curtains, and paperwork, or to fully remove the risk, try battery powered candles or reed diffusers.

Smoking is not allowed is most student accommodation – follow the rules and smoke outside, more importantly stub it out properly.

Turn off electrical item

Laptops, phones, computers, radios, irons, portable heaters, televisions, sound systems and hair styling appliances are appliances which need to be switched off at the mains when leaving your accommodation.

Fires can spread rapidly and can cause severe damage before being noticed, you can reduce the risk by turning off any unused electrical appliances. Overloading sockets is a big no go, never overload electrical sockets or electrical adaptors. Take caution with extension leads/adaptors and high-powered items like kettles, heaters and irons to ensure they will not exceed the maximum current rating stated.

Make sure you know the limit and check you are not overloading your sockets by using the Socket Calculator below, brought to you by Electrical Safety First.

Fit a smoke alarm

If you don’t have a smoke alarm in your room, make sure you fit one! Smoke alarms save lives.

You can purchase the CAVIUS products, here.

For more information on our safety products, click here.

To speak to our team, call: 0330 999 0019